First Impressions are Lasting Impressions
Posted on November 07, 2011 by Cherese Jackson
Everyone has a brand. Especially, if you are involved in social media at any level, you have a brand. Protect it at all costs!!!
Someone once said, “First impressions are lasting impressions”.
*An impression is an effect produced on the senses, mind or emotions. Something that denotes an engraved mark or figure.*
No matter who you are, you have at some point in time purchased products based on their brand; items such as clothing, sneakers, electronics and even food to name a few. In other words you have made decisions among competing brands while ultimately choosing some brands over others because of an impression even before an actual experience.
What does this all mean? As an individual, you must acknowledge that you are a brand. And who better to market your personal brand than you. This means that at the end of the day, the success of your personal brand lies in your hands.
Even though your appearance is a part of your impression it’s not the only thing, which matters. Your impression means your overall personality and it consists of the following:
1. The way you carry yourself
2. The way your dress
3. The way you express yourself
4. Your mannerism
5. Your behavior
6. Your communication
7. The way you treat others
These all are the traits which consist of impression and are all relative to each other.
Why is this important:
- You only get one chance to make a first impression. On average, people tend to make a judgment about you in less than five seconds! That’s how long you have to WOW them; or not! Every time you interact with someone or say something in public, you’re establishing your brand.
- Your impression becomes your personal brand. With every personal and professional interaction, you’re subconsciously branding yourself. There’s an old saying, “If you’re not selling fish take down the sign”. This means you must always be strategic and conscientious of how you dress, carry yourself and what you say. Don’t advertise what you don’t want memorized!
- Your brand evolves into your reputation. Be authentic! Reputations can be fleeting; they can be built up for years and destroyed in a moment. Authenticity cannot be taken away from you by anyone and will always endure even when your reputation is challenged. Life is too short to live it trying to be anything other than your true, original self. Be who you are and be it the best way you know how. Celebrate your individuality and uniqueness. Dare to be an original!
You have the opportunity to stand out and make a name for yourself, through your brand. Internet makes it easy to develop and market a personal brand that shows the world who you are and what you’re capable of. For instance, on the Web, you have the opportunity to promote YOU by joining a social network and using your page as a billboard to advertise your talents and goals.
Thanks to technology, you have the opportunity to reap the same rewards as the “rich” brand names, from Trump to Sean “Diddy” Combs, through the right marketing.
Have you ever helped someone? You just established yourself as a helpful person and that adds to your brand. If you complain a lot, you’ll become branded as a whiner. Are you known as the “professional” in your field of work? That adds to your brand too. Everyone has a brand. Especially, if you are involved in social media at any level, whether personal or professional, you have a brand.
Social media is now considered one of the most important outlets of establishing a brand. It’s also the most treacherous way to establish your brand. One wrong step and you could ruin your reputation and damage your brand. But do it right and you’ll be reaping the rewards. If you aren’t utilizing the power of social media, you’re doing your business and or yourself a disservice. Social media has the power to cement your brand in your audience’s mind.
Creating a brand isn’t just about technology. By focusing on delivering results, being extra ordinary, and learning new skills to adapt to our ever-changing world, you can make your brand memorable, and opportunities for success will follow.
The same rules that apply to corporate brands apply to personal brands. The successful brand called YOU marketing model needs the proper mix of confidence, passion, likeability, determination, and focus.
Remain confident in who you are along with the gifts and talents you possess while at the same time continuing in the essential activities that build a great life and legacy