Mackerel Storm - only dead fish swim with the tide
Posted on June 16, 2020 by Gordon Fyfe, One of Thousands of Business Coaches on Noomii.
Taking inspiration from an image of a shoal of mackerel swimming against the tide to challenge yourself and move towards who and what you want to be.
I came across an extraordinary woodcut image called ‘Mackerel Storm’ in an exhibition by Bristol (UK) print maker, Christine Howes [see www.christinehowes.co.uk]. It inspired me with all sorts of thoughts, not least the phrase: “Only dead fish swim with the tide.”
In the image, the fish are very much alive – creating a storm of their own as they sweep across a bay under a powerful sky, striving together against an incoming tide to forge their way to new feeding grounds – it gives energy, optimism, excitement – with a focus on moving forward, taking action and achievement.
1. Find the image on Christine’s website – what do you see?
2. How does this image make you feel?
3. What and who do you want to be – passive, going with the flow, avoiding asserting your individuality, feeling dead inside – a dead fish? Or active and alive with possibility, ready to take a few risks – creating your own mackerel storm?
4. How about taking up a sketch pad and drawing your own image of what and who you want to be? Then take a few moments to describe it, to really see it, to feel it.
5. Now, what are you going to do with your image, your description, your feelings? What action are you going to take, today, to move you towards who and what you want to be?
6. Want more? Contact me here on Noomii.