Find Your Power, Create a Life You Love
Posted on March 16, 2010 by Randi Shuster, One of Thousands of Life Coaches on Noomii.
Acknowledging and listening to that little voice within can have life altering effects!
For me, find your power means finding your inner resources. You know that little voice deep within that we have learned to bury or ignore? We are all far more powerful than we give ourselves credit for.
When given the opportunity to view a situation from other perspectives it is incredible how creative and resourceful we can be. Once we have tapped into our resources, we are in a position to create a life we love. Now I am not talking about creating a problem free, stress free life, that is unrealistic. Even after creating a life you love, you will still encounter problems, still have to deal with difficult people and your kids will still try to push your buttons! What I mean by creating a life you love is that you will have the ability to look within and change what is within your control and accept what is beyond your control.
One of the biggest AHAs I had in my own journey is that I have little control over my environment and the behaviours of others. What I do have control over is my own reaction and subsequent actions which greatly influence my experience of the situation at hand.
That is not to say I never get mad or frustrated, I do, and once I recognize it, I ask myself, what is the opportunity in this challenging situation? Is my anger serving me? What can I do and how can I think differently so that I will be able to navigate the situation or challenge from a place of ease and grace.
To be honest, accessing my power and using it to create a life I love, took practice, LOTS of PRACTICE. At first I wasn’t very good at it. It took patience, perseverance and practice over several months before I started seeing consistent results and it was well worth all the effort.
TIPS FOR FINDING YOUR POWER & CREATING A LIFE YOU LOVE
- Spend time being quiet with yourself everyday. It doesn’t have to be long, just 5 to 10 minutes, where you close your eyes, breathe deeply and look within to access your inner voice.
- Once you are skilled at hearing your inner voice, START LISTENING TO IT!
- For me, journaling was very helpful. I started noting what my inner voice was saying to me. I got clear on WHO I was and WHAT was really important to me. This allowed me to easily identify situations where my values were being violated and to make decisions that set boundaries that honoured those values.
- Get really clear about what is within your control to change. Once you know what is within your control to change start focusing on what you want the end result to be. Get very clear on what you want that end result to look like, feel like and sound like. Then outline the steps and timeframe in which you want to accomplish it.
- Practice acceptance of situations beyond your control. Acceptance means acknowledging that you may not like the situation AND it is what it is. By accepting the situation, you let go of harbouring ill feelings and worry and instead you focus on how you can react and think so that it is easier for you to navigate the situation.
- When you goof up and waste time worrying and stressing and resisting (AND YOU WILL),be easy on yourself and remember that each breath is an opportunity to make a new choice!
- Celebrate small successes, over time you will notice that you are celebrating more and more often.
- Have fun with this!!!