Cancer Killing Foods
After losing my father to cancer, I conducted research to see if there is anything we could do to help prevent this terrible disease called cancer.
Cancer Killing Foods
Those that follow a style similar to the Mediterranean diet had the most protection against cancer! In a study conducted by Schwingshackl, L., Schwedhelm, C., Galbete, C., & Hoffmann, G. (2017), they found that those individuals who had higher adherence score to a Mediterranean Diet was associated with a lower risk of cancer mortality.
Introducing a high intake of cancer fighting foods such as vegetables, fiber, fruit, fish, and calcium rich foods may lower one’s risk of developing or re-experiencing various types of cancers. Schwingshackl, L., Schwedhelm, C., Galbete, C., & Hoffmann, G. (2017) found an association of lower cancer risk with fruit consumption, vegetable intake, whole grain intake, and moderate alcohol consumption, compared to higher intakes and cancer risk.
Dr. Beth Overmoyer, a breast cancer specialist at the Harvard-affiliated Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, stresses that “women should keep in mind that a healthy diet is only one influence of lifestyle on the risk of breast cancer”. She goes on to say that a healthy diet is important in conjunction with the importance and need to exercise, plus lose weight, if applicable (Pendick, D. 2015).
What to Eat
Leafy greens – rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes and low in calories, fat, sodium and other toxins.
• Known to combat cancer because of antioxidants including vitamin C and beta carotene (a type of vitamin A) and has antiviral properties.
• Spinach, kale, collard greens, romaine, arugula, watercress
• Carcinogens help reprogram cancer cells to die off, and prevent tumor formation
Cruciferous Vegetables – powerful cancer killers and some of the best vitamin C foods widely available. Rich in “glutathione” known as the body’s “master antioxidant”. These types of food are nutrient dense sources of isothiocyanates which are linked to cancer prevention.
• Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus, zucchini, artichokes, peppers, carrots and beets
Berries – some of the top high antioxidant foods in the world! They supply vitamin C, vitamin A and gallic acid, a powerful antifungal/antiviral agent that increases immunity.
• Goji berries have been used in traditional Chinese medicine since 200BC to increase immunity and energy.
• Blueberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, blackberries and goji berries
Brightly orange-colored fruits/veggies – packed with phytochemicals (replaces chemical with antioxidant activity that protects cells and reduces risk of developing cancer).
• Complex carbs are related to reduce risk of cancer, likely due to fiber.
• Sweet potatoes, berries, pumpkin squash, carrots, beets, whole grains foods
Fresh herbs and spices – Immune system boosters.
• Turmeric contains curcumin and is one of the most powerful ingredients in an anti-cancer diet because it’s shown to decrease tumor size and fight both colon and breast cancer. Turmeric absorption is enhanced with the pairing of black pepper, increasing its ability to fight inflammation (1tps turmeric, ¼ tps pepper)
• Ginger, raw garlic, thyme, cayenne pepper, oregano, basil, parsley
Organic meats – provides minerals that help cleanse the liver and enhance ability to remove toxins from the blood and digestive tract.
• Organic meats including beef and chicken liver are recommended because they’re considered some of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and are extremely high in B12.
Cultured dairy products – rich source of good bacteria probiotics which increases immunity.
• Probiotic foods can stop tumor growth and help cell renewal. Buying organic is important because most diary today is loaded with hormones, pesticides, etc.
• Aim for 6 ounces of cultured dairy daily.
• Raw milk products such as cheese, kefir, yogurt, cottage cheese, goat milk
• Calcium when combined with vitamin D3 may reduce the rate of cancer by 35 – 60%.
• Sunlight exposure and manne oils such as cod liver oil ad krill oil are good sources of vitamin D that help with calcium absorption
Nuts and seeds – aim for 2 tbsp daily.
• Chia seeds and flax seeds are two of the most nutrient dense seeds in the world, providing fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and a range of important minerals.
• Hemp seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds are full of heathy fatty acids. They are best sprouted for max health benefits.
Heathy unrefined oils – 60% of your nervous system is made of fatty acids, and your brain and nervous system controls the function of your entire body.
• Unrefined oils nourish your gut and promote better immune function, where refined oils can destroy cell membranes and inflammation that fights off disease
• Flax oil, extra virgin olive oil, cod oil, coconut oil
• Flax seed and cod liver oil contain omega-3 fatty acids that energize your cells
• Olive oil contains phytonutrients that reduce inflammation
Mushrooms – all are known to be immune enhancers and many have been used to fight cancer for centuries.
• Rishi, cordyceps and maitake can improve immune heath function, fight tumor growth and help with cell regeneration
Traditional teas – Helps decrease cancer risk.
• Green tea contains compounds shown to inhibit tumor invasion and the formation of new blood vessels which are essential for tumor growth and development of secondary malignant growths.
• Matcha green tea contains the highest percentage of these compounds, including the antioxidants EGCG. Its anti-cancer effects have activity about 25-100x more effective than vitamins C and E.
Wild caught fish – higher fish consumption is favorable for a higher immune system.
• High in omega -3, recent studies connect them to cancer prevention and natural enhancements of anti-tumor therapies.
• Shown to reduce symptoms of chemotherapy and preserve muscle mass and function with chemotherapies, contributing to reduced inflammatory response from the toxicity of treatments.
• Salmon, mackerel, sardines
Frankincense essential oil – shown to be a vital treatment for various cancers, i.e. brain cancer.
• Has the ability to help regulate cellar function, positively influencing genes to promote healing
• Rub oil on neck area 3x daily and takes three drops internally in 8 ounces of water 3x daily
Avoid Cancer Causing Foods!
• These are high in pesticides, additives, added sugars or artificial sweeteners, processed meats, burnt foods, fried foods, and other chemicals.
• French fries’ hot dogs, deli meats, sausage, ice cream, refined rice or other grains, high fructose corn syrup, processed vegetable oils and trans fats butter
Other foods to consider adding to diet – tomatoes, onions, beans and eggs
Pendick, D. (2015). Mediterranean diet may prevent breast cancer, but there are other reasons to pour on the olive oil. Retrieved December 17, 2019
Schwingshackl, L., Schwedhelm, C., Galbete, C., & Hoffmann, G. (2017). Adherence to Mediterranean Diet and Risk of Cancer: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Nutrients, 9(10), 1063. doi:10.3390/nu9101063