Seven Days of Positivity - Can You Rise to the Challenge?
Posted on August 05, 2010 by Bernette Sherman, One of Thousands of Life Coaches on Noomii.
When we actively try to filter our spoken words so we speak more positively it starts the process for possible life changes.
We are often inclined to look at the negative side of a situation, person, or thing we encounter. But what if you challenged yourself to follow your mother’s old saying ‘if you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything at all?". There is power in our words. Power to define, shape, mold, and create the situations, people, and things we encounter.
For just seven days pay close attention to your words and if it is negative or a criticism don’t say it all. This is extremely difficult if you aren’t accustomed to censoring yourself in this way. But it will also make you aware of when or how often you do this. If it is not often, this will be fairly easy while bringing mindfulness to those situations that you may have greater weakness.
This exercise not only asks you to filter yourself but it brings a higher level of consciousness to the thoughts you have to begin with as it is those thoughts that become words. By trying to be positive for just seven days you may start a snowball effect that can positively change your life.
At the end of those seven days, see how well you did.
1. What were the things that made you tick, upset you, and made you want to speak negatively?
2. Were you able to resist the temptation? If so, how? If not, why not?
3. Did you learn anything about yourself in the process?
4. Were there any other changes you noticed (more attention to your thoughts, others words, tv/media messages)?
4. What would you do differently if you were to try it for another seven days?
No matter how you did, can you try it for another seven days?
Bernette is a certified professional coach in the Atlanta area. For more information please visit www.bernettesherman.com.