How will I know that I need career coaching?
5 questions you need to ask yourself to know whether you need life/career coaching or not.
Do I need coaching is a very important question to be answered before you invest your time, money and energy in career coaching or life-coaching. Here are 5 questions that will help you identify whether you need coaching or not.
1. What do you want to achieve in the next 1 year from now? Some may clearly know their goal, a promotion, a job change, a career change, 10 kg weight loss for example. For some, their goal may not be clear, in that case, the goal could be, “ I need to get some clarity as to what I want to do in life”
2. Once you have clearly defined your 1 year/ 3 year/5-year goals, my next question would be, How long have you been thinking about this? Maybe you have been thinking about it for a long time and did not act upon it or you did something about your goal but you are not happy with the results. In both cases, coaching can help you give more direction, focus and accountability to achieving your goal.
3. My third question for you would be, “ does doing nothing about your goal make you feel unsettled, or make you feel guilty or keeps you awake at night? Answering this is extremely important because some goals are important but not urgent. So if you think you have plenty of time to act upon it, you may not commit yourself even if you take help from a life coach. Think about this, is this goal a good to do or a must-do for you?
4. What would happen if you don’t take action now? What would you lose if you do nothing, what would you gain if you achieve your goal? Unless you create a sense of urgency and importance, goals would just remain goals.
5. My last and most important question. Are you willing to seek professional help to fastrack the process? Are you willing to make your goals official so that someone will hold you accountable and responsible for your achievements? Are you willing to invest your time, money and energy today for a better tomorrow?
Success takes 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration can come from the coach, but 99% perspiration has to come from you. All the best.