Top 5 leadership power tools!
A leader is someone who exercises some level of influence on others towards a given goal.
A leader is someone who exercises some level of influence on others towards a given goal: his or her supporters willingly follow because they believe in the said leader’s mission and respect their leader’s approach.
Therefore, how can you increase your influence and leadership as an entrepreneur, manager or business owner?
Let’s explore 5 leadership power tools we should all have in our toolbox:
1) Connection power: it’s not what you know, but who you know. Your contact with influential people can give you leverage on a variety of situations. For example during a negotiation.
2) Expertise power: requisite skills, abilities, knowledge, trustworthiness, etc. Perception of expertise is cultural, but can definitely allow you to influence prospects, colleagues and business partners.
3) Information power: you possess valuable information that can benefit others. Information becomes valuable when it is perceived as restricted, scarce or unavailable.
4) Personal qualities: personal qualities that others find attractive. For example, your physical attributes, depending on culture, or your charisma, persuasiveness, dynamism, and reliability, to name a few.
5) Legitimate authority: by virtue of a person’s role, position or title. Warning: holding a title does not mean you are seen as a respected or influential leader.
Finally, the key to positive power and influence is knowing when to use each of these power tools. Need help? If you and your team are interested in gaining more insight about your own leadership and ways of improving it, please contact us to learn more about our 360 leadership diagnostic services, including tools, individual coaching, team training and full reports with recommendations.
For more information about our business coaching and training services, as well as the strategies that can be put in place to empower you and your team achieve your goals, please contact us: