Find True Meaning and Purpose in Your Life
When you pursue it and sustain your meaning and purpose in life, you’ll understand what it really means to be “living.”
What makes you tick, your heart dance with joy, or makes you smile? What are you really passionate about? What are you doing that satisfies yourself and others? Ask yourself why you are living or what you are living for. These may seem like silly questions, but shouldn’t there be a reason for living other than to pay taxes and grow old?
It usually takes a while to find meaning and purpose in your life, and this often happens through the accumulation of our life experiences. When you pursue it and sustain your meaning and purpose in life, you’ll understand what it really means to be “living.” Finding meaning in life events leads to more positive emotion, and leads to a greater ability to discover meaning and purpose. Ultimately, this results in an “upward spiral” of greater well-being and happiness.
People spend so much time looking for the Holy Grail, or an idealized vision of what meaning and purpose might be, that they often don’t learn to honor their own uniqueness and to be true to themselves. When you do what you love, you will have more meaning and a greater sense of purpose in your life.
Here is a fun exercise to help you begin to recognize and live a more purpose-centered life:
• What are three things you really desire in life? Why? Keep asking why until you get to the truth. When I do this with my clients, we almost always get down to feeling happy and fulfilled inside no matter where we started.
• What are you really passionate about? Try to identify something that you would defend or argue and stand up for without question.
• What are your core values? What do you truly value in life?
• How do your skills, strengths and talents complement those values?
• What can you do to build these passions and values into your life and work?
If you spend time writing out the answers to the questions above, you will begin to discover what is important to you, and you will find yourself happier and more fulfilled when doing these things.
You’re in Control
It is up to you to find your own true happiness in life. No one can do it for you. If you commit to finding happiness and begin to build these simple steps into your everyday life, you will absolutely be happier. The degree of your happiness is up to you. The more work you put into these areas, the better you will feel, and the happier you will become.
Think about how amazing your life could be if you…
• Start paying attention to the now, and appreciate the simple wonders in life around you.
• Make a concentrated effort to laugh each day.
• Become more resilient by deciding how you are going to respond to each situation you experience.
• Learn to forgive and make peace with yourself and others.
• Celebrate things to be grateful for each day.
• Do what you love to do every day Know what you love about yourself.
• Have very powerful hope around your dreams and desires.
• Tune in to what makes you happy.
• Find true meaning and purpose in your life.
It is never too late to find happiness in your life! You can start with little steps each day, and build them up until you are happily living the life you were intended to live. Remember, true happiness comes from deep inside. When you are able to center yourself and connect with life in the now, that will be your greatest opportunity for healing and happiness. Living in the “not now” is a chief cause of unhappiness, pain, lack and worry. When you allow worry or overwhelm into your life, you begin to be “not present” in your own life. Learn to enjoy the moment and seize the day.
When you are present, you automatically feel more connected. If you are doing things you love to do, or have things to look forward to, your level of happiness will continue to grow. Feeling happy is a direct result of your thoughts and beliefs. Your thoughts become your reality. Choose the good ones.
When you learn to love life and love what you do, it will take you where you want to go. Choose to love life, and continue to nurture that feeling of happiness inside of you!